
Applesauce is a great substitute for oil in all of your cakes, cookies and breads. The finally product may be slightly altered in texture and flavor but you may enjoy the variation. I made some banana nut bread last night. I tried a new recipe my friend gave me and reduced the sugar and substituted oil with applesauce. Then I added fresh ground whole wheat flour instead of the white. The end result was a moist, hearty, filling sweet bread. I have enjoyed snacking on it over the last few days. The best part is I have no guilt about eating as much as I want, but on top of that I am full after a few slices. I will enclose the recipe below. This recipe of my friends is not as good as my mother's banana bread recipe, I think my mothers is better because it is moister, but it is simpler. (I will try the substitution with my mother's recipe, which is located in her cookbook and can be ordered on-line, and let you know how the venture fairs) Here is the recipe I used last night with my alterations.
3/4C sugar
3 large ripe bananas
3/4C applesauce
2 eggs
2C whole wheat flour
1/2C chopped nuts, if you like
1 tsp baking soda
2tsp vanilla
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
ENJOY!
Daughter
No comments:
Post a Comment